hosted by Monique Borst
What are your food dreams?
To start a catering or food retail business, launch a new restaurant concept … or a retail brand?
You love food, you can cook and bake (maybe you’ve been professionally trained), make jam or charcuterie and friends are always telling you how delicious your food is.
Or perhaps you’re ‘a year in’ and the signs are promising, but you need help establising whether your business is truly viable.
So setting up a food business can’t be that hard, can it?
… but this is not just about creating, cooking or baking, owning a food business is about running a business.
How prepared are you for the challenges this will bring?
It’s what I understand really well and I would love to help YOU!
I’m passionate about good food, made and sold with integrity and imagination. I bring a practical business focused perspective on the niche food sector and start-up knowledge. As well as a helping hand because I know that starting a business can be a scary and lonely journey and you can spend a consirable time floundering.
This workshop is for people who love food and are serious about turning their passion into a viable business.
Delivered with fun and depth of knowledge over two days, this weekend workshop is a combination of inspired talks, exercises, a glimpse behind the scenes at a local food producer or retailer and informal discussions, giving you the chance to ask the questions that really matter to you.
You will take away tools and insights which form an invaluable resource in you first year of trading and beyond.
* What SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & PERSONAL QUALITIES do you need?
* Generating a BUSINESS IDEA
* An overview of the current ISSUES, TRENDS, OPPORTUNITIES & THREATS facing the food sector
* Drafting a BUSINESS PLAN
* Working out how much money you will need and when you will need it: REVENUE FORECASTING & BUDGETING
* Developing a MARKETING strategy: identifying and understanding your customers, how to use social media and PR
* Deciding on the BEST LEGAL STRUCTURE for your business
* How to CONTROL YOUR BUSINESS: records you need to keep, controlling overheads
* Playing by the RULES: food hygiene & safety, environmental health, insurance
Both days start at 10am and you can arrive any time from 9:30am. Teas, coffees, biscuits and cold drinks will be waiting for you! We aim to finish at 4:30pm each day. Lunch featuring delicious local produce and afternoon tea with home-made cake are included.